The Family of Steve & Linda Wilson

North Texas, United States

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Steve in the GHS Student Newspaper

Lauren sent me a text this afternoon saying Steve's picture was on the back page of the December edition of The Mane, the GHS student newspaper.  I told Steve and he acted like he couldn't care less.  Tonight was Lindsay's middle school band concert and it was held at the GHS auditorium.  The concert started at 6:30 and at 5:40 he insisted we leave for the school.  Now we live directly across the street from the high school, less than 5 minutes from our door to theirs.  Anyway, we go ahead and go early.  When we got there the band directors, some of the students, and 1 parent were in the auditorium.  We found the seats he wanted and no sooner had my bottom end hit my seat until he said, "You know your way around here really well so why don't you go find us one of those newspapers."  Now I realized why we had to get there so early!  I went out by the office and saw the janitor getting ready to enter the main office area with her cleaning cart.  She was kind enough to go in and get me a newspaper.  I returned to my seat and showed it to Steve.  It was a very nice picture of him and three girls from the Senior leadership team talking to him in the library while I was getting our breakfast plates.  There was a nice caption about him discussing his "historic experiences" with the students.He was quite proud of it and said, "Maybe Lauren can get us another one.  Then we could send one to Indiana and keep one for ourselves."  Steve has always been one to just stay in the background and fade into the woodwork if possible.  He was so funny about this and it is so not like him.  Another example of the changes dementia brings about.  So far, thank you God, his changes have mostly been good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment